1. Be Your Own “Drive-By”. When buyers are shopping for homes, frequently they will drive-by the home before they call to set up an appointment. What does your home look like from the street?
Try to view your home as a buyer would. Does it make you want to go inside and see the rest? Start by tidying up the landscaping, wash windows and exterior light fixtures. Use a critical eye to look at the other features of your home – does the deck need staining or power washing? Do the railings, shutters or window trim need paint? Are the gutters and skirting hanging straight? Don’t forget to look at your curtains and blinds – how they look from the outside makes an impression. Sometimes just a few simple things can really help the look of the home.
2. Clean out closets and pantries. Now is a great time to think about charitable donations. Clean out those closets and cupboards so buyers can see how much room the house has. Shoot for getting storage areas down to half full. If necessary, you might need to store some things elsewhere or take this opportunity to pare down your belongings to just what you really need. Think about what you really want to take with you when you move, that will help you decide what to keep, and what to pitch.
3. Paint shelves and cabinet doors. While you are cleaning out those spaces, now is the time to take a second look at places we frequently ignore – the tops of shelves and backs of doors. These areas frequently get scuffed and stained. A fresh coat of paint or some new shelf liner can do wonders in making them more appealing.
4. Replace window treatments. Window treatments are notorious for getting dusty. Curtains may just need washing. Some horizontal mini blinds can be cleaned, but sometimes it is easier to simply replace them. While you have your treatments down, look at your windowsills. This is another dirt-catcher that might need cleaning or a touch of paint. Don’t forget to also look at your screens and the window hardware.
5. Have everything ready to go? Consider an Open House! Open Houses are a great way to get more people to view your home. List your home on www.mhvillage.com and advertise your big event to the thousands of shoppers that are on our site every day. Make sure to print fliers from your listing so you have something to put in their hands. Statistics show that buyers who leave with something in hand are more likely to call than those who don’t.
If you need help listing your home on MHVIllage or advertising your Open House, let our customer service staff know. We are here to help and walk you through it!