If you are preparing to sell your manufactured home, MHVillage has a free checklist you can download to help make the process easier. This is a handy sheet that will help you put together all the information you will need for entering a listing. You can print it off, fill it out, and be ready to sit down and enter your home’s information online. (Just click here to download.)
In addition to advertising your home online, here’s some other important information and steps you should take:
1. Talk to your community manager. Some communities have different rules about posting For Sale signs and advertising homes for sale. Make sure you know the rules first. Also, many managers may be able to help you with your sale, so talking to them is a good first step.
2. Research homes for sale in your area. A good place to start researching is www.mhvillage.com. We have over 26,000 manufactured home listings on the site. Do some searches for homes for sale in your community, your city and your zip code. Knowing how people are selling homes nearby can help you write your own listing. It will also help you price your home. Speaking of which…
3. Figure out what your mobile home is worth. One place to start is with a Book Value. This will tell you how many professionals would value your home. A Book Value requires just a little information about your home and is free when you list your home on MHVillage. Or, for the most accurate information on your home’s value, consider getting a full appraisal. A manufactured home appraisal will include someone coming out to your home, and when you receive your final report, it will contain full details about the home and information about nearby comparable sales. Datacomp is a nationwide manufactured home appraisal company that can help you with this.
4. Get your paperwork in order. Locate your copy of the title. You’ll need this for the sale. Having your insurance paperwork and information from when you purchased the home can also come in handy. When you are ready to sell, you will also need a Seller’s Disclosure Agreement and a Purchase Agreement. If you list your home on MHVillage, you will get sample copies of these forms (plus a For Sale sign and other valuable tips) in the Free Selling Kit we mail to every homeowner listing their home on our site.
5. Prepare your home for photos. One thing you will want is a good set of digital photos of your home. Then you will be able to email them to friends, post them to your Facebook page, add them to your MHVillage listing, and make fliers to give out. Get good, clear photos of the exterior of the home, the interior (make sure to include any improvements you’ve done to the home), and any other outstanding features your home may have, like a carport or deck. Good photos will help sell the home.
Once you have these things in hand, you will be ready to get started.
Additional articles and resources you might find interesting: